Saturday, September 02, 2006

Greetings and welcome to my blog!

Nate, where are you!?
I am now in the heart of the ancient Incan Empire, the city of Cusco, Peru. I arrived last Tuesday (the 29th) and am sharing a flat with my cousin Alana and her friend Tammie who both teach English here.



Cusco?
Cusco is a city of great contrasts. It is at once smelly, dirty and poor while also being beautiful, vibrant and rich in culture. The people here are very friendly and it is has been interesting for me to note how they are much poorer than the Hungarians (who are also pretty poor when compared to Americans) but they seem so much happier. It has to do a lot with culture and history I know, but it has been an interesting thing for me to observe.



So what are you doing anyway?
One of the great things about being here is that I am never rushed. I began taking private Spanish lessons on Wednesday. They are from 8AM-10AM every weekday at the school where I will be getting my TEFL intstruction. Other than that my schedule has been wonderfully free to go to the markets, see the sights, hang out at home or whatever. On the 13th of September I will be starting my 4-week TEFL/TESOL English Teaching course. After that is completed I am scheduled to go on a four day trek along the Inca trail to Machu Picchu. In the first week of November we are planning on going with the stake on a temple trip to Cochabamba, Bolivia. In January the three of us will travel around South American with an itinerary that has yet to be determined exactly. On January 29th Alana and Tammie fly home and I have one week to make my way up to Quito where I will join my uncle and his tour group for a ten-day tour of Ecuador. I then fly home on February 17th.

Prove it!
Here are some more pictures from Peru (the one of the mountain was taken from the plane):

5 Deep thoughts:

Pixletwin September 02, 2006 3:16 AM  

Nate you are my hero! I think what you are doing is adventurous and completely muse worthy. Be safe and work hard.

Tan September 02, 2006 4:28 AM  

So is English as a second language a career shift for you or are you just looking for some way to make money in between those big composition commissions? I'm taking the semester sort of off. The only class I'm taking for credit is Dr. Rorke's Renaissance Music Lit. I'm doing Early Music Ensemble as continuing ed and Old English/Medieval Literature as an audit, since that's what my previous degree is and I just want to play. Have fun in Peru. Tenemos un perrito muy grande (bloodhound).

Dad September 02, 2006 11:58 PM  

Do good and have fun!

Anonymous September 03, 2006 1:07 AM  

Boy. Nothing says "Peru" like the picture of you with the Peruvians and llama (or is it an alpaca?). Is Spanish lots easier than Hungarian to pick up? Be good, and if not, be good at it!

Anonymous September 05, 2006 6:46 PM  

Que tenga suerte en la vida Peruana! Sigue fiel!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP