Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg

When I went to check out of my hotel this morning, Caroline, the owner invited me in for a free breakfast (usually €8). I never ate there while I was staying there because I could always eat much cheaper on the street. She even gave me some plastic wrap to take some of the food with me on the train. It was very nice of her.

With my two backpacks I walked the two blocks to the train station and boarded my train. It was a nice 5-hour ride from Munich to Hamburg. The day was foggy and there was a frost on all the trees. It made for a beautiful winter ride up the spine of Germany.

I was able to read, listen to music, play sudoku, study German, and think. I arrived in Hamburg and walked the block and a half to my hotel. I dropped off my stuff in my room and headed out into the town as it was getting dark.

I wanted to explore a little bit near my hotel just to get a feel for the city.

Hamburg is Germany's second largest city, its wealthiest, and its largest port, being situated on the wide Elbe River. It is not much of a tourist draw for Americans but there are many attractions here including many Broadway and Broadway-like shows. I've seen posters for The Lion King and some German musicals as well.

I walked to one of the main plazas near the riverfront where the City Hall is located. I took several night pictures and explored a little bit more. It was cold and I was getting hungry, however, so I was soon heading back towards my hotel.

Being in Hamburg, I had to laugh when I saw this site:


I knew it wouldn't be hard to find a Hamburger here. The funny thing is, if you read about the history of the Hamburger, you'll find that it has almost nothing to do with this city. It was most likely invented in the 1880's in New York City.

NEW! YORK! CITY!!!!!????

This lack or relation notwithstanding, when I found a decent restaurant tonight I couldn't resist ordering the hamburger.

... OK actually it was a Cheeseburger, but seeing as I have no plans to visit Cheeseburg, I thought it would be close enough. It was a little different from what we're used to in the States. But, boys and girls, let me tell you something. That sammich was GOOD! The best beef pattie I'd ever eaten.

So that's the story so far. Tomorrow I have the day to really get out and explore. Then on Saturday my relatives will be in town to attend a golf fair. I will ride back with them to Lüssow and stay for a little bit.

In other news... I received an email from another English school I had applied at. They wanted to know if I could come in for an interview tomorrow. Doh! Just a little bit too late... but not completely. I emailed back explaining how I would be back in Munich within a month or so and I am still interested in the job.

That's all for now. Be sure to check out the latest photos from Hamburg on Picasa...
(and check out Munich while you're there.)

2 Deep thoughts:

Anonymous February 15, 2008 12:34 AM  

Nate, you dog. I just fell in love with like, 3 women from Germany. I'm so curious about that country. Ask some people there why half their population is in New Zealand, if you can find any of them.

Jon Patch

Nathan Winder February 15, 2008 8:39 AM  

Jon Patch!

Blog Archive

Nate's Picasa Albums

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP