Thursday, February 24, 2011

Kent Komes to Kolkata




My trip is going faster than I can update the blog! On Saturday, Feb. 19, I finally left the South of India by train and arrived in the afternoon in the great city of Kolkata (formerly spelled: Calcutta).

The train station is on the other side of the Hoogly River from the main city and so I crossed the river by ferry passing the great Howrah Bridge...








The river was dirty and the air was a bit hazy, but it was exciting, as always, to arrive in a new city, especially one as exotic as this Bengali capital...






You don't go to Kolkata to see a bunch of sights (there aren't many), you go to Kolkata to feel the city and be a part of it.

What began as an British outpost on the Hoogly River is now India's second (or third, depending on your source) largest city. The crumbling colonial architecture is still all around...
















And politics here is vocal and energetic as are the Pepsi bilboards...



I explored a bit on Saturday but on Sunday I took it easy. I started with a trip to church. Believe it or not, the church is located in a suburb of Kolkata called "Salt Lake City." So after a bit of chaos I got on the right bus and found the church building. It was only a small branch, I got to accompany the hymns on the keyboard, I said the opening prayer, and I even gave an extemporaneous talk (translated by one of the branch presidency into Bengali). It was a great experience and it was fun meeting some new people.

After church I ate a nice Bengali lunch of fish wrapped in a banana leaf (which turned out to be not so nice later that night). And the rest of the day I just took it easy.

I did make sure, however, to get a bit of a hair and beard trim at a local barbers. He did a great job and I even got a head massage. All for around $3!




"But where is Kent?" you ask? ...Well he was seeing Mumbai. But on Monday morning I went to the airport and met him as he arrived with his backpack and beard. (You might also be asking, "but who is Kent?" ... he's my dad!)

The whole time he just stood around looking a little lost and confused...




Especially around the goats...



Just kidding, he was just excited to be here. I, on the other hand, was enjoying my first bout of illness on my trip so far (that darn fish!) and it was also the first rainy day of the trip!



But some days are like that, and it was just fine. (Because of my illness, I even got to use the bathroom in the swanky 5-star Oberoi Grand Hotel!)

But by Tuesday I was feeling fine and Dad slept well (with his earplugs). The sun was now shining and we had a full day of exploring Kolkata ahead of us.

Just walking out of our hotel we could see the sights and sounds of the city. Barber and fruitseller...




Our first stop was the majestic Victoria Memorial, completed in 1921 that stands amid green parks as a tribute to the respected British monarch...




It was such a lovely setting, there were even artist taking in the scene...




Dad made some new friends...




We toured the inside with a wonderful history of the city (no photos allowed!) and then enjoyed the grounds a bit more...







We enjoyed a great vegetarian lunch at a local "fast-food" place. They really liked Dad in this city...




After lunch we decided to explore a bit more of the streets.




People washing in the public water...




Serious gamers...




The poor...




Dad makes more friends...




Chickens for sale...







Chickens for szzzzz....




I made some new friends too...




There was a old Chinese Temple amidst the narrow streets...




And Dennis the Menace...




We had a great time in Kolkata! The sights, sounds, smells, are all too much to capture with only a few photos.

We checked out of our hotel and walked through the colonial city...



...where we caught the ferry back to the train station.

That night, we boarded our night train, set up on our bunks next to an old turbaned man and his wife, and slept great as we continued along towards our next destination...



The journey so far, with Kolkata in blue...





View India - Kolkata in a larger map


...

7 Deep thoughts:

Aimee February 24, 2011 5:29 PM  

How fun! I think Indian people are so beautiful!

Tom and Tami February 24, 2011 9:20 PM  

Sorry to hear you were sick :(
Glad to see Dad got there safely :)

Wendy February 24, 2011 9:42 PM  

Great report. Thanks for sharing your trip with us. (I'm just glad I don't have to smell the smells.)

Mom February 25, 2011 3:46 AM  

So happy to finally see a picture with the two of you together! Thanks for keeping up your blog amidst your busy schedule. Beautiful picture at the beginning! Take care and let's hope you and Dad stay healthy:)

Alana February 25, 2011 5:19 AM  

Is your dad reading Harry Potter in the train? :-) It kind of looks like it. I ate at your favorite Chifa restaurant near Maximo Nivel - eat some garlic naan with curry for me!

Big Brother February 26, 2011 6:59 AM  

Fun stuff. I have talked with many this week who were impressed with both of your adventures. Live it up, and keep posting the blog@

Nancy March 01, 2011 12:55 AM  

Wendy and I must think alike because all I could imagine when viewing some of the pictures is how it must smell. Whew! It is way fun to read about your trip. Thanks.--Nancy

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP