Sunday, March 22, 2009



ROCKS AROUND THE WORLD

When I was in South America the idea came to me to start a new collection. I wanted a collection of some sort of object from every country that I visit. I decided that it would have to be something I could procure just about everywhere no matter what my experience in the country would be. So I decided to collect a stone from every country that I visit.

Each time we entered a new country in South America I gathered a rock and tucked it in my bag. Now that I'm in Europe I do the same thing. I try to get rocks from places of significance or interest, but that's not always possible. Some of my rocks are just "border rocks" when I've visited a country by just stepping over the border. Hopefully I will return to these countries in the future to get a rock from a more significant location. Eventually and hopefully I will someday have a large collection of rocks from all over the earth. I can then display them in some manner, with a flag or something, in my future secret lair.

So here are the stones and their respective countries:

PERU - from the foot of Machu Picchu...




BOLIVIA - from the shores of Lake Titicaca...




COLOMBIA - roadside pebbles from the jungle town of Leticia...





BRAZIL - a stick from the Amazon Rainforest (there were no rocks in the jungle)...




CHILE - from the cliffs of the Atacama Desert, the driest in the world...





ECUADOR - from the feet of Cotopaxi, the world's highest active volcano...





HONDURAS - the coral reef island of Roatan...





BELIZE - Mayan riverbed...





MEXICO - from the ground of the ancient ruins of Tulum...




USA - from the cornfield behind the houses where my family lives...





GERMANY - from the ruins of the old town wall of Putlitz where my ancestors are from...





BELGIUM - a forest trail near the Ardennes...




THE NETHERLANDS - limestone quarry below Valkenburg Castle...





AUSTRIA - from amidst the jagged Alps...





POLAND - from a forest trail in Zgorzelec...




CZECH REPUBLIC - a field just over the border...





SWITZERLAND - buried in a churchyard in the town of Rorschach...




FRANCE - from the feet of Mont Blanc...





ITALY - from ancient Roman ruins in Turin...




The countries that I've visited but don't have rocks from are: Hungary, Slovakia, Canada, Vatican City, and the UK. Someday I'll get rocks from these places as well.

Now the question is: what will the next rock be?

...





7 Deep thoughts:

Anonymous March 23, 2009 3:20 AM  

Nate...very interesting.
I have a rock in my shoe from West Valley City,shall I send it over to you?

Anonymous March 23, 2009 3:30 AM  

What a cool way to display your rocks. The pictures made it so interesting. Good luck on your travels this week!

Haley March 24, 2009 12:49 AM  

Just when I start to feel the least bit adventurous from my Hawaii trip, you have to go and post something like this. Thanks.

Anonymous March 24, 2009 11:19 PM  

Neat! You know, every time I look at the town of Rorschach it looks like something different...I think that says something about me.

Aimee March 25, 2009 7:03 PM  

Want to go to South Africa with me and Matt next summer?

Mike Winder March 27, 2009 4:10 AM  

It's too bad you didn't get a rock from Biddenden Place when we were there. And as for Brazil, I just can't believe you couldn't find a single rock there. Nonetheless, 'tis a fine, fine collection. Yes they are mere rocks, but in context they are much, much more. It reminds me that the difference between an antique and an heirloom is the story behind it. Farethewell!

Nathan Winder March 28, 2009 7:04 PM  

Dad: No... it probably smells.

Mom: Thanks

Haley: I could sure go for a trip to Hawaii right now. Lucky.

Jeff: it took me four days to figure out what you were talking about. Nice one.

Aimee: Yes! (but I need to get rich quicker)

Mike: Yeah, I didn't start the collection until a few years ago. You could barely see the soil in the jungle due to the deep foliage. I scoured all over the camp area where the land had been worked a bit. I couldn't find anything larger than quarter. Remember the soil of the Amazon basin has been swamped and soaked, crushed and gnawed by millenia of plants all growing furiously.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP