Wednesday, May 21, 2008



OBOES THROUGH THE YEARS

Exciting... I know. That's what I call a "teaser," it's meant to draw you into the blog right away. I'll get to the oboes in a moment...

I've had a very busy week with teaching and other things. In addition to teaching these week-long intensive courses, I also have a couple of private students, one through the school where I teach and the other a church member. I also do a language exchange with one of the German Teachers from the school where I teach. I go to her house and she teaches me German for an hour and I teach her or her nine-year-old son English for an hour. It's really nice for both of us.

Today (Wednesday) I didn't have to work until the evening and so I went with some of the missionaries to the Deutsches Museum.

The Deutsches Museum is Germany's version of the Smithsonian. With hundreds of exhibits on everything from advanced rocketry to agricultural techniques through the ages, it is a huge, overwhelming, and fascinating museum.







Mystery, wonder, and strange bald men abounded as we perused the various exhibits of the museum:





This is a rocket-propelled sled. Calvin would be jealous.




Here am I playing an early version of a Casio keyboard (ca. 1760)




Cross-section of a U-Boat:




Including the torpedo bay... both of them...




An original Wright Bro's plane from 1909.




And a triple-decker "Red Baron" Fok plane from WWI.






I think this plane was designed by Fisher-Price:






Resistance is futile.



This underwater breathing apparatus served in later years as an excellent shoulder massage apparatus.




A Medieval Chemist's shop complete with bongs.




The elders got a little confused when we arrived at the UNIVAC and started tracting it. I gently explained to them that this was actually an early computer.




It was a fun and full day at the museum. There were also oboes.



Guess what I'm going to go see tomorrow.......






...



4 Deep thoughts:

Haley May 22, 2008 2:18 AM  

*Sung, appropriately, to the Indiana Jones theme*
Indianaaaaa Jones is HE!
Wants to keep theeeee whole world Nazi free!
Studies archaeeeeeeeology!
His stubble is studly and his muscles are cuddly to me!

Blogger May 22, 2008 4:46 AM  

Hi!

your photos from the museum are very interesting.

Rafael - Brazil
http://quotidienlife.blogspot.com

Anonymous May 22, 2008 7:48 AM  

Hi, from Vegas, home to 5,000 Winder Farms customers! Utah is sad tonight because first Mitt lost, then the Jazz, and tonight Murray High's David A. came in second on American Idol. You would have really liked it this season because they kept bringing on Lord Lloyd Weber to coach them. Anyway, we missed you at the pool clean up Monday, but I am glad to see you are joining our family date night in spirit this weekend as we are also seeing Indy IV.

Anonymous May 25, 2008 7:06 AM  

Did you see the Indiana Jones movie in English or German? I'm guessing it is in English with German subtitles. We went tonight and it was very entertaining. We thought of you when they were in Peru (really shot in Hawaii). Those waterfalls were beautiful! Have a good week!
Love,
Mom

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP