Sunday, July 18, 2010

MIscelleneous Summer Stuff




As most of you know, in June the World Cup was in full swing. It was hard to miss it here in Germany. Everywhere you went there were flags and people wearing jerseys or painting their face...




On game days, all of the street-side cafés brought out flat-screen TVs to for people to enjoy the game...




You could hardly walk on the sidewalk for fear of stepping in someone's view of the game...









Even at the church there was some soccer fever...



I didn't really watch it though. I find it boring. And I don't like vuvuzelas.


Later in June, Katie Hewitt Sorte, one of my good friends from high school, was passing through Munich with a group of high school students (she's an English teacher), and we were able to grab an ice cream and catch up a bit...






On one weekend in June the young single adults had a grill party on the banks of the Isar river as you see below...



As a side note, the 1971 movie, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, was filmed here in Munich at the Bavaria Film Studios. You can recognize parts of Munich throughout the movie, and those smoke stacks in the distance are part of Munich's gas works where exterior shots for Wonka's chocolate factory were filmed. The smoke stacks you see now are newer than the movie however... but it's still Wonka's Factory!








There was a grill, and our group wasn't hard to miss because we had the most clothes on...




It was BYOB and so I brought an assortment of tasty skewered meats...




It was fun chilling in the river...




Did I leave any streaks?...




We have two new young men in our ward who moved in from another part of Germany. They hadn't really had a chance to see downtown Munich and so for one of our activities on a cool day in early June we played scavenger hunt Bingo in the old town of the city and then went to McDonald's for dinner...




In late June we had a young men's activity at a small reservoir in eastern Munich, only a few could make it, but it was still fun and it was the first time I had been swimming since swimming in the Adriatic in Croatia last year...




So there you go.






...



4 Deep thoughts:

Tom and Tami July 20, 2010 1:48 AM  

That beach looks way fun. I wish I could take my kids there. I also have to say, you did a beautiful job on the piece for the re-dedication of the ward building you recorded. Mom sent it to us and I could just picture you playing it.

Mom August 02, 2010 7:16 PM  

I thought I had commented on this, but I guess I didn't. It's so fun to see your "world" of normal life in Munich. What a wonderful place to be. Nice to see Katie again, too. We'll look forward to more blogs soon!

Aimee August 05, 2010 6:18 PM  

Fun to see Katie! She did a good job singing "Travels" in Mrs. Fields farewell show.

Teacher Extraordinaire August 15, 2010 5:44 AM  

Hey! I made the blog! You got a much better picture than I did, even if I still look I'd been traveling for 2 weeks. You have no idea how much I needed that break from the kids that night!
-- Katie

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP