Sunday, March 14, 2010

When Times Are Slow, Reflect On Your Passport




-Elder Neal A. Maxwell, 1979:

I [was] driving to a stake conference in Elko, Nevada, across that rather barren, but beautiful in its own way, stretch of desert. During that drive, it was brought forcibly to me that the seeming flat periods of life give us a blessed chance to reflect upon what is past as well as to be readied for some rather stirring climbs ahead. Instead of grumbling and murmuring, we should be consolidating and reflecting, which would not be possible if life were an uninterrupted sequence of fantastic scenery, confrontive events, and exhilarating conversation.


Patience helps us to use, rather than to protest, these seeming flat periods of life, becoming filled with quiet wonder over the past and with anticipation for that which may lie ahead, instead of demeaning the particular flatness through which we may be passing at the time. We should savor even the seemingly ordinary times, for life cannot be made up all of kettledrums and crashing cymbals. There must be some flutes and violins. Living cannot be all crescendo; there must be some dynamic contrast.




And so not every blog entry is full of fun and excitement, especially as one rides through the "flat periods" that give life more definition and contrast.


Recently I had to renew my passport. I did it all through the mail and it went like a charm. I received my new passport this week along with the canceled-out old one.



In honor of the new and in memoriam of the old, I reflect on each of the 34 countries I have visited in my life so far. These are in the order of when I visited them although the photos are not necessarily from my first visit...


#1: The United States of America


Eating space ice cream in front of the US Capitol, Washington D.C.


#2: Canada


At the Empress Hotel, Victoria, British Columbia


#3: Mexico


The fam at Tulum, Quintana Roo



#4: England (U.K.)


Karyn, Aimee, and I in Liverpool


#4: Wales (U.K.)


The fam at Conwy castle


#4: Scotland (U.K)


Mike and I at Edinburgh Castle


#5: France


C'est Paris!


#6: Germany


No, that's not my nipple.


#7: Hungary


On the Danube, Budapest



#8: Slovakia


Little border town near the Danube


#9: Austria


Ray? A drop of golden sun!



#10: Italy


No-Longer-Leaning Tower of Pisa


#11: Vatican City


Beware of Illuminati


#12: Peru


New friend in Olyantaytambo



#13: Bolivia


The ruins of Tiwanacu


#14: Chile



Chillin' in Arica



#15: Colombia


Very exciting street scene from Leticia, Amazonas


#16: Brazil


Boating across piranha-infested lakes. Later went swimming in lake.


#17: Ecuador


Watching boobies


#18: Honduras


Is that a monkey on your backpack or are you just happy etc. etc.


#19: Belize


Cave tubin'


#20: The Netherlands


Valkenburg with relatives


#21: Belgium


very exciting


#22: The Czech Republic


Smetana and I in Prague

#23: Poland


Polski


#24: Switzerland


Kevin, you're such a disease.


#25: Denmark


Tivoli!


#26: Sweden


Szilvia and I in Malmö


#27: Slovenia


Urban and I on the Soča River (the one from Narnia)


#28: Serbia


Peter and I in front of Maglič Castle


#29: Kosovo


Ooh... I wanna take ya...


#30: Macedonia


At Lake Ohrid


#31: Albania


Berat or besquare


#32: Montenegro


It's my birthday.


#33: Croatia


Dubrovnik... and apparently I'm the 16th of something.


#34: Bosnia & Herzegovina


Nice tan at this point. Mostar


And last but not least...

#??: The Norway Ride at Epcot Center


Not sure if this counts.




What stamps will fill my new passport?? We'll just have to wait and see...





...



6 Deep thoughts:

Dad March 15, 2010 5:19 AM  

"Not all who wander are lost"

Mom March 15, 2010 5:32 AM  

Nate,

You have been most fortunate to have visited so many places.

Our lesson in church today was about the Creation..."For the Beauty of the Earth..."

How blessed we are to have a glimpse of places we will never visit personally except through the lense of your camera. We can then appreciate more of God's creations.

Thanks for sharing!

Alana March 16, 2010 6:14 AM  

I think you need some more Eastern Hemisphere stamps. Asia?

MisterKerr March 17, 2010 3:45 AM  

Go to Spain, dang it! What other large Western European countries do you have left?!? (Note: don't actually answer that.) If you visit Cartagena I know for a fact you'll have lodging, even though the city is a bit out of the way.

Big Brother March 18, 2010 10:50 PM  

How did you miss Liechtenstein? You really need to go. Vaduz is fun and the Alps are pretty--not quite Swiss, yet not quite Austrian. BTW, You may win on countries, but I've been to more states than you have.

Aimee April 05, 2010 11:43 PM  

Nate, I've had more kids than you. So there.

Seriously, you couldn't find a better picture in Liverpool of me? That was a scary one!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP