Saturday, November 14, 2009

A Special Autumn Day

October 3:

It was a beautiful Autumn morning. The sky was blue and the air was cool. It couldn't have been a more perfect day for the baptism of one of my friends here in Munich, Melanie.

Melanie began investigating the church earlier this year and was quickly befriended by the group of Young Single Adults here in Munich. Her good spirit, Christlike example, eagerness to learn, and willingness to get involved with all aspects of being a church member even before her baptism, were a great example to all of us long-time church members. I was surprised and honored when she asked me if I would baptize her...





She wanted to be baptized outdoors in a river and after a bit of hunting around Munich for an ideal spot, Melanie and the sister missionaries found out about a member who lived in the suburbs of Munich and had a nice little backyard with a stream running through it.

It could hardly have been a more perfect setting for such a special event.

Friends gathered...




Some of the Young Single Adults and sister missionaries in Munich...





I had given my camera to one of the elders and told him to just take whatever pictures he could of the event. I got my camera back with a lot of good pictures but also a lot of pictures like this...




I had forgotten to bring my sandals for the river and so I had to borrow some women's jelly shoes. My feet barely fit into the shoes, I felt like Cinderella, but it was better than socks...








Friends had all arrived and the time was at hand...



There was a very nice program with some of Melanie's friends giving excellent talks. I started to get sort of nervous, I was afraid the water would be cold, that I would slip and fall, that I would forget the words to the prayer (even though it is short and would be in English as Melanie requested), or that I would drop Melanie in the water and she would go floating away. But as the program began I felt a great feeling of peace and calmness. It would be fine.

So after a song, a prayer, and a couple of short talks it was time to proceed with the ordinance. Melanie hopped right in the stream before I could even get to it to give her a hand. We walked upstream a little bit to a spot just after the footbridge where the bright morning sunlight was shining...








The water was pleasantly cool and the sun was warm. Friends gathered to watch from the banks and the bridge. With the sun in my eyes I raised my right arm and spoke the prayer and then immersed Melanie in the stream...



She emerged cleansed from her sins through her faith and through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. This was also a symbol of her spiritual rebirth and her commitment to follow Christ.

We walked back to the steps and got out of the water...



We dried off and then concluded the program.

The spirit of peace and love shared by friends that morning was a testimony to the importance and veracity of the ordinance performed.

The following week in church Melanie was given the Gift of the Holy Ghost and ordained a member of the Church of Jesus Christ.

Some of the sister missionaries who helped teach Melanie...




And another one of the Young Single Adult friends...



It really was a perfect morning.

The afternoon was a complete contrast. After going home and cleaning up, a few of us, including Melanie, went to the Oktoberfest grounds to have a look around and ride some rides. The worldly, hedonistic, and superficial atmosphere there was devoid of the peaceful spirit we had felt that morning. It reminded me strongly of Lehi's vision of the tree of life from the Book of Mormon. That morning we were at the Tree of Life and that afternoon we saw the Great and Spacious Building firsthand. The differences were striking.

But more on Oktoberfest next week...

The good news was that after Oktoberfest we were able to go to the church to watch the Saturday morning session of General Conference live.

It was a good day.





...



6 Deep thoughts:

Angela Brower November 15, 2009 9:39 PM  

What a beautiful post. I wish I could have been there, but thank you so much for describing the atmosphere and providing such wonderful pictures- I now feel like I can share in her experience because of it. You're awesome, Nate- keep up the great work!

Big Brother November 16, 2009 1:49 AM  

Hi, Nate! Mom, Dad, Grandma Winder, Jessica, Michael, Karyn and I just read this together (we are gathering for a birthday party for Grace, Aubree and Marcus). Great post! Mom is weepy and the rest of us proud. Nice post! We are counting down the weeks until you come home for the holidays.

Haley November 16, 2009 5:38 AM  

Very, very cool.

Kjersti November 16, 2009 5:44 AM  

This made my heart soooooo happy! I love this! :)

Tom and Tami November 16, 2009 11:54 PM  

I love that the Church is true everywhere and that a testimony that was shared from across the world can touch us with the spirit here. Thank you for sharing.

Tom November 17, 2009 10:01 PM  

I am in constant awe at the great experiences you are having during this time of your life. I think it is great that you are out seeing so much of this beautiful world we live in and you are also helping to spread the gospel. Way to go!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP