Sunday, November 30, 2008

From Nymphenburg in Autumn

NYMPHENBURG IN AUTUMN

The Nymphenburg palace and park take up a large swath of land in western Munich. I live just one S-bahn stop away from the park's southern entrance, and a few tram stops away from the main entrance. I come here often, usually to go jogging, but there were a few days in October when the leaves were changing colors and I just had to go take some pictures. This is also one of the places Alan and I visited when he was here.

Here is the front of the main palace with a lake and cool clouds.




Here is the typical view of the forest as I jog through it...




Fall leaves always look better in person, but here are some colorful scenes I found...










This is the palace from behind...



...complete with swans...



There are many smaller buildings scattered throughout the park grounds. Alan and I visited the Amalienburg, or hunting lodge. Here is the Badenburg or "bath house"...





This is an interesting building- it is a chapel that was builtin the 1700's to look like an ancient ruin. The inside resembles the walls of a cave and is nicknamed the "grotto."








One of my favorite places in the park is the lake with the Apollo temple...



One day when I was there, there was a group of school kids out on a field trip...




They enjoyed a quick rest on the steps of the temple...




Some of them tried to feed the swans...



And then one of the swans insulted the mother of the kid in the striped shirt and there was an altercation...




There are several statues around the park, including this one of Athena, complete with owl...




Nymphenburg is a fun place for grown-ups, children, and swans alike. I hope you've enjoyed our tour.






...

0 Deep thoughts:

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP