Tuesday, March 04, 2008

A Good Time in Bad Doberan


Let me say just a few more words about the food…

On Saturday evening we went to a birthday party for one of Sybille & Wolfgang’s friends. Dinner included. The friend’s wife prepared an incredible meal. We sat down at the table… wine (and ginger ale) was poured and an appetizer of lightly breaded shrimp kabobs and chicken/pineapple kabobs came first. Then she brought out plates with salmon wrapped inside a flaky pastry with a wonderful sauce. It was a lot of good food. Then another plate was brought out with one of the best dishes I’ve ever eaten: Roasted Wild Rabbit with Wild Mushrooms and Wild Cherries all together in a delectable sauce. It also included a delicious potato bread. I was enjoying it, but it was too much! Sybille thought so too and so she slid the rest of her rabbit onto my plate. I took a few bites and then gave up. I asked if I could take it home, because I would have probably cried in my pillow that night if I knew that such wonderful food were to be thrown away. She put it in a ziplock bag and I ate it again the other day for lunch. Now I understand Elmer Fudd just a little bit better…. Wabbit is Deewicious!

I also realized why I’ve eaten such wonderful dairy products here. We’re right next to the region of Schelswig-Holstein!! And that’s where you-know-whats come from!

I’ve continued to enjoy the food here and I’ve been impressed with my regularity.


Every morning when I eat breakfast, here is the view from my seat at the table:


On Sunday I went to Rostock and was able to attend church there. It was a small but lively branch of about 30 members. There were only two meetings – Sacrament and Priesthood/Relief Society. It was nice.

After church I went over to the apartment of S&W’s daughter Antje, who made a nice lunch. S&W then came over for a little while and then we drove back to Lüssow. That night we went bowling and I came out a little bit better this time.

Here you can see some rare footage of Nate engaged in actual bowling behaviour. These are not actors and what you are about to see is real:



Unfortunately, the remainder of the footage has been lost.


Here is the school where I practice the piano each day.


And here is green countryside surrounding all the towns and villages of Mecklenburg


On Monday, I drove Sybille to visit a client and run some errands in Rostock. On the way, we stopped in the town of Bad Doberan. This town is home to one of the largest and best preserved Medieval Gothic Cathedrals in Germany. It was very interesting inside.


You can see here the heraldic arms of Mecklenburg. While this device once bore the noble faces of great men, it was replaced in 1380 during the famous “Cow Uprising” in which several bulls and bovines from the fields overthrew the local rulers and instated themselves as kings and dairy queens. As you can see, they were a cheeky bunch...


It wasn’t until the Vatican issued a Papal Bull that the Holsteins finally abdicated.


Here you can see an interesting stained-glass window with three apostles bearing weapons: St. Matthew with a spear, St. Paul with a sword, and St. Thomas with nunjucks.


Afterwards we drove to Heiligendamm where President Bush came a few months ago for the G8 Conference. Then we drove to the beach near Rostock and saw the mighty Baltic Sea.


We ran our errands in Rostock and then headed home. It was a very nice day.


This statue from Rostock is like the one on Temple Square only different:





That’s all from Mecklenburg. Stay tuned for what happens next….

7 Deep thoughts:

Haley March 04, 2008 5:57 PM  

Ha! That statue kills me.

Anonymous March 04, 2008 7:00 PM  

I am so gwad you enjoyed da wascally wabbit!

Aimee March 04, 2008 7:01 PM  

Nate, you make me laugh!!

Anonymous March 05, 2008 6:42 AM  

Nate: You are a really good bull-er

Anonymous March 05, 2008 3:33 PM  

Can you believe Hillary won Texas?

Anonymous March 06, 2008 6:33 AM  

I love grapes.

Anonymous March 07, 2008 11:03 PM  

That picture you took of the Baltic Sea is gorgeous! Of course all your pictures are pretty good. That and your creative writing are what makes your blog so fun to read. Keep up the good work!
Love,
Mom

Blog Archive

Nate's Picasa Albums

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP